22 Monk Street
Main details
Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:
22 Monk Street
divided into flats
—
residence
Accommodation
20–
Before and After Images
1979/80
2015
About the building
The original street survey stated that in 1834 Hope House was on the site of No 26. It was demolished at a later date. However, an advertisement for Hope House, the school, indicates that it was actually on the site of No 22. [Source: Hope House School Advertisement, 1826, held in Abergavenny Museum]. Behind the school was a tennis court.
In 1813-14 there was a French Masonic Lodge at Hope House, “Enfants de Mars et de Neptune”. The Lodge was set up by the, paroled, Napoleonic French prisoners of War in Abergavenny. Meetings were held in the room that was their Officers’ Mess. The French Lodge room had a vaulted ceiling with decorative plaster work. See Plate II, Abergavenny interior of Lodge Room: https://archive.org/details/cu31924030291102/page/n33/mode/2up?view=theater
Four Masonic certificates, issued in 1813 and 1814 and are kept in St John’s Church, the present meeting place for St John’s Lodge 818.
[Sources: “The history of St John’s Lodge 818” www. monmouthshirefreemasons.org/lodge/stjohns818/ and “French Prisoners’ Lodges”, John T. Thorp 1900]
See also Former French Masonic Chapter https://historypoints.org/index.php?page=former-french-masonic-chapter-abergavenny
Recent history
1971-1980: Left hand side occupied by Henry Kenneth Lockyer, Priory Bookshop (2nd hand books). Right hand side occupied by Kathleen Evans Ladies Hairdresser (still there in 1988). Owner G W H Oliver. Other floors residential flats.1993: Folly’s (nearly new) special hat sale or hire
Previous occupiers
Year
Name
Detail
Source
1970
private hotel, flat and cafe. Also Malt House.
Kelly
1937
Miss Radford
Orange Tree Tea Rooms (owned Malt House)
Kelly
1934
” ”
” ”
Kelly
1930
Miss Annie Elizabeth Radford
Boarding & Day School
Car/Npt & Dis
1926
” ”
” ”
Kelly
1923
” ”
” ”
Kelly
1920
” ”
” ”
Kelly
1914
—
—
Kelly
1910
—
—
Kelly
1909
—
—
Kelly
1906
John Thomas Rutherford
Town Clerk
Kelly
1901
Steven Kevern
Boys & Girls school
Kelly
1895
Mrs Clement Yates
Ladies School
Kelly
1891
” ”
” ”
Kelly
1884
—
—
Kelly
1879
—
—
Thacker
1877
—
—
Owen
1875
Sarah Isabella & Anna Maria Williams
Boarding & day establishment for young ladies
Mer & Croc
1871
” ”
” ”
Kelly
> 1868
—
—
—
1865
Louisa M Jones
Boarding school
—
1862
—
—
Morris & Co
1858
—
—
Slater
1850
—
—
Pigot
1845
—
—
Pigot
1844
—
—
Slater
1841
—
—
Slater
1835
—
—
Pigot
1834-45
—
—
Pigot
1834
—
—
Car/Npt & Dis
1822
—
—
Pigot
1792
—
—
Pigot
Other information
Before moving here Miss Radford ran her school at 23 Nevill Street between 1910 to 1920.1821: John Pocock established Hope House Academy
The National Girls school was here before moving.
The offices and boardroom of the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway Company, founded in 1859 were here.
For more information see: 22 Monk Street History Points
If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk